June 3, 2010

Guarding his flock

We've been impressed with how well the dogs have adjusted to the chickens...well, everyone except Captain! I still don't know if he wants to "herd" or "hurt" them! He gets very excited around them, follows them around and even licks his chops at times. He has gotten pecked and chased a few times, but that hasn't diminished his curiosity. The good thing is that Captain responds to our commands to knock it off...most of the time!

While it seems like everyone is getting along nicely, we only let the chicks out to free range when one of us is home to supervise. Even though we are in the city, we do have foxes, raccoons and hawks... not to mention a very curious guard dog!

And let's not forget about the cat who wants to be a chicken...

4 comments:

AJ-OAKS said...

Captain looks like he is well fed. Love it! What a good boy to watch the chickens. :)

basicliving@backtobasicliving.com said...

I SO understand this. Our pups are good with the chickens - for the most part..... but we still don't trust them outside all alone with them. I'm certain they would never intentionally hurt them - but they get SO excited ......

Your girls are getting BIG!

Anonymous said...

I'm so impressed with Captain. Never in a bazillion years would I get a picture of our dogs sitting and quietly watching chickens. :)

Lilla said...

AJ-OAKS...believe it or not, Captain is really not a big eater. He's just got "big bones", like his momma!

Penny...I think that's the deal with Captain too. I don't think he would intentionally hurt the hens, but I don't want to give him enough freedom to find out! The girls are getting pretty big. Now, if someone would just lay an egg already!

Justina...it didn't happen right away, and he still needs daily reinforcement and reminders of appropriate chicken socialization. I must say I'm pretty impressed with how smoothly it has gone overall.

Powered By Blogger