February 14, 2009

Life is Good #2

We awoke this morning to find everything covered in a sparkling blanket of snow. Humidity was high yesterday and the fog moved in during the evening, causing the snow to cling perfectly to all the trees and shrubs as if they had been spray painted with that snow in a bottle stuff. It was a truly breath-taking winter wonderland world this morning....then, the sun came out and melted everything before I could get pictures!

It may be 30 degrees and snowing outside, but I'm feeling warm and toasty and thinking of spring and planting my gardens. And speaking of gardens, look what arrived this week.

O.K., so I mentioned earlier I may have gone a little bit overboard on my seed ordering, but I just couldn't help myself. This year, I ordered all of my seeds from Seeds Trust, mainly because they have a good variety of heirloom and high altitude seeds from which to choose. I really like the detailed instructions they give on the back of each seed envelope, which includes frost tolerance, culture details suggesting when to start seeds indoors, germination percentage and the normal soil/sun/water instructions. I can't wait to get started planting this year's crops!

Neal and I had our Valentine's Day lunch today at one of our new favorite Indian restaurants. The chai tea was delightful and the buffet offered more than our tummys could hold. Afterwards, we strolled a few doors down to a furniture store that was going out of business and browsed their offerings. Finding nothing we needed or had to have, we ventured on to a nearby library to search for some books. I went off in search of books on raising chickens and goats, renewable energy and barn building, and Neal set his sights on Volkswagen repair and building sheds and garages. As you can see below, we didn't leave the library empty-handed.

Back at the homestead, I whipped up a batch of liquid laundry detergent and tried a new recipe for homemade deodorant, consisting of nothing more than coconut oil, baking soda and cornstarch. I added a few drops of lavender essential oil and poured the deodorant into an empty store bought container and set it in the fridge to harden. So far so good. I'm anxious to see how effectively it will work and excited to think of the money we will save if it works to our satisfaction.

I just took a batch of dog cookies out of the oven, the washer and dryer are doing their thing and Neal and the dogs are watching a movie. I am steeping a nice cup of tea in my new mug with infuser that my honey gave me this morning and preparing to find myself a spot on the sofa to settle with my tea and my stack of books. Life is good.

4 comments:

Ian said...

Sorry to be so off topic here but I come to you because you were recommended to me by Back to Basic Living and you can see a post about you at http://farmblogs.blogspot.com/2009/02/back-to-basic-living-recommends.html

Farm Blogs From Around the World is a place to to gather in one place the best farm blogs from around the world. Recommended farm blogs are asked to send a brief email (to info AT ianwalthew.com) about their farm/smallholding and their blog, and to include their own recommended farm blogs. I then make a posting. If it gets any more complicated that that, then....well, the idea is that it doesn't get much more complicated than that.

I would very much appreciate it if you could please consider:

a) sending me some text about your blog and activities (including acreage and crops/livestock/fibres etc. to help like minded souls find you.

b) writing to me with your (up to) Top 5 farm recommendations - not currently listed on my blog; particularly from countries not yet represented or under represented. I am particularly interested in blogs from the UK, New Zealand, South America, Asia and Africa at the moment. The proper name of the blog, the exact url, the location and one sentence on why you like it is perfect, but if pressed for time, just the links. U.S blogs are fine, but we have a lot and I am trying really hard to find good bloggers in different parts of the world, but if your list is all-American, no drama.

c) send me permission to use up to 5 photos from your site for a one off usage so that with your text I can make a posting about you;

d) add a link on your website, if that's possible, to www.farmblogs.blogspot.com; and if you can find a moment even make a posting about www.farmblogs.blogspot.com and how this blog is growing organically across the world from other farming bloggers. (Because you have been recommended in this way you are on the blog roll for the U.S.A.)

I know this is a drag but a lot of people are finding that my blog is driving traffic to them and are finding it a great source of quality blogs about farming so I hope you can find a moment to drop me a line.

I very much hope to hear from you, and thanks for taking the time to read and respond to this. When you do I'll get you up and running as soon as possible.

With kind regards,

Ian

www.farmblogs.blogspot.com
www.ianwalthew.com

Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

Lilla,
Sounds like life is good. I need to decide what to put in my garden squares this year. I'm also considering taking up the railroad ties and rebuilding the squares.

How did the homemade deodorant turn out? Sounds really interesting.

I love the mug!

Mary

Anonymous said...

oh, seeds!!! we need to get our butts in gear and start our garden process!!
love those black and white seed packets - pretty!

Lilla said...

Mary, the deodorant turned out really well. I can't believe how easy it was. I'll have to do a post one day soon about the homemade products I've tried so far.

Daune, I love those seed packets too. Something so simple and elegant about black and white, isn't there? Since our last frost date isn't until May 20, I plan to start most of my seeds indoors in the next week or two to give them plenty time to take root. You should have no problems putting things directly in the ground there in Texas!

Powered By Blogger