December 2, 2011

Here we go again...

You may recall that Captain had knee surgery back in April to repair a torn ACL. After many weeks of monitoring his every move, he regained a full activity level and we all began enjoying life again.

Then, the unexpected happened.  He started to limp on that leg.  Then he started to walk three-legged.  We tried to convince ourselves that maybe the cold was affecting him, or maybe he had over-exerted himself one day on a walk.

Unfortunately, that was not the case.  He started self-limiting his activity, so much so that he preferred to eat lying down instead of standing. He would walk down the driveway and have to sit and rest before he could make it back.  A phone call to the surgeon determined that it was either, a) a reaction to the metal plate put in during surgery, b) a torn meniscus, or c) both.

So, back to the surgeon we went.  Since we now live almost three hours away, they were able to work him into the surgery schedule for the same day as his exam.  Surgery revealed a torn medial meniscus, which is the cartilage around the knee.  The portion of torn meniscus was removed and the metal plate was removed, just in case it was also causing a problem.  According to the surgeon, the metal plate was only needed to stabilize the bones until they healed properly, which they have done.  This surgery was not as major as the first and recovery time is less; however, Captain still must be monitored and limited in his activities for at least four weeks, which means our lives and activities will be altered until he is back to normal.  And, when we are not watching him, he must wear the donut of shame, which he hates.  I have to keep reminding him the donut is much better than the cone!

2 comments: said...

Oh no!!! Poor Captain :( I am so sorry to hear this. Do you know how he tore the medial meniscus? I hope he heals quickly. I'm just so sorry that he (and you and Neal) are going through this type of thing again. Please give the Captain a big hug for me.

Lilla said...

Thanks, Penny. No idea how he tore the meniscus. The vet says sometimes those things just happen. It's been five days since his surgery and he seems to be doing great. It's hard to hold him back from romping and playing in the snow...that stinker!