April 14, 2010

Learning the Ropes

One of the fun things about having baby animals is watching them grow and learn to do new things. When we first introduced them to the coop, Neal took each one of them and put them at the top of the ladder to see if they could figure out how to come down. There was some hesitation and clumsiness at first, but all of them soon caught on. I've learned with chickens, when they see one doing something, the others quickly follow. Curious little buggers, they are!

This morning, when I opened up the coop, I was armed with my camera. Poppy was the first one to attempt a dissent from the coop, but she was a little hesitant.



Pretty soon, the others became interested in the open door and a traffic jam formed in the doorway...that is until Nutmeg shoved her way through and forced Ginger to take the lead!



Now I wonder how long it will take them to figure out how to get back up into the coop by themselves?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can totally see chicken analytics 101 taking place there. They're adorable! Your coop and run look great!

Lilla said...

Morning Bray....ha! yes, chicken analytics 101. It is so fun to watch them work out the dynamics of life! Thanks for the compliments.

CottonLady said...

Great looking coop and ladder!! I know you are enjoying your chicks! I will soon have 26!!! month old ones here on the farm and can't wait. Grandsons have them now in their garage until West Texas weather gets better and the chicks get feathers! Love your videos.

Blessings! CottonLady

Lilla said...

Cotton Lady....wow, 26 chicks? I have my hands full with just these four. You are right....we are having so much fun with them.

Thanks for the compliments on the coop.

AJ-OAKS said...

That last chicken that came down the walk had me laughing. It was either,"Oops, I'm going to fast and can't stop" or "Out of my way, here I come!".

Lilla said...

AJ-OAKS, that's funny! I can imagine that either of those statements would have been appropriate for the situation!

Powered By Blogger