March 8, 2010

Bread Baking Mishap

I've been enjoying experimenting with homemade bread. I first started with the 5-minute artisian bread because I was too lazy for kneading, but I've found that I actually enjoy kneading. So, last weekend I tried out a recipe for a bread called buttercrust bread and it turned out really good. It rose a bit high over the bread pan, but it kept its shape and tasted great. The only thing I didn't do was split the top of the loaf and pour in the reserved butter. This weekend, I tried the exact same recipe but did split the top and poured in the butter. And pretty soon, I noticed a mutant bread loaf growing in my oven (click on any of the photos to enlarge).

The loaf rose and spilled over the pan, enveloping it with its buttery, doughy arms.

By the time I took it out of the oven, the only parts of the bread pan visible were the two little handles and a small portion of each end.

Here's an upside-down view. Doesn't it look so buttery and golden brown?

Here's a comparison of the pan I used to bake in and the resulting mutant loaf.

I do believe this brings the phrase "muffin top" to a whole new level. Even though my bread would not win a fashion contest, it sure did taste delicious, and that is really all that matters, right?

13 comments:

LiveWorkDream said...

Hey that looks like one of those High Altitude Bread Making Disasters!

Been there. Done that. Ate it up. Yum!

♥Frann♥ said...

LOVELY BLOG YOURS...CONGRATS!A HAPPY WOMAN'S DAY TO U =D

Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

Your bread looks delicious even if it did overflow the pan. I love the crust of bread and your loaf has lots of crust.

Love your new header picture.

frugalmom said...

Um. Id come eat that bread even if it looks a little misshapen! I bet it was delicious!

Isnt that funny tho how one turns out quite perfectly then the next is totally different.

Danni said...

Ha! That's hilarious! And you're right, it's *definitely* the taste that counts...though I actually like how unusual this loaf looks. Now if you could figure out how to make it look this way every time, you could say you've created your own "novelty" bread. :-)

Lilla said...

Rene....yep, I'm thinking the weather had something to do with my mishap. But I wasn't too proud to eat it!

Thanks for stopping by and making a comment. Happy Woman's Day to You, too!

SVB...oh yes, lots of crust and it was yummy! Thanks for the comment on the header picture. That's my Nadia.

Marcee....would you come eat my bread even though that would mean entering feline territory? Yeah, weird how stuff like that happens, but I think it had a lot to do with the weather that day. It was overcast and humid.

Danni...with my luck, there's no way I would be able to duplicate that loaf ever again! It could most definitely be called a novelty, and if I made it in our European rustic ranch house, I could call it "European Novelty Bread"!

Danni said...

I think you're on to something there, Lilla, with the European "rustic" bread.... you could make a million! :-)

frugalmom said...

Well sure Id come. I can just enjoy your company (and your bread) on the outside porch. :-)

AJ-OAKS said...

Now that is one fine looking loaf! Guess it wanted to be differant and not like the others. Bet it tasted so yummy. Nothing like fresh baked bread. :)

Farmer Jen said...

Interesting thing your bread did. I wonder why it did that when you put the butter in?

Your photos are lovely!

Lilla said...

Marcee and Danni....when I make my first million on my European Rustic bread, you two can come celebrate with me on the porch at The Ranch. Oh wait, we don't have a porch at The Ranch yet! One day...

AJ-OAKS...if you knew me, you'd know a bread loaf that wanted to be different from the others fits right into my lifestyle! It sure was yummy, thank goodness.

Farmer Jen...thanks for stopping by. I don't really know why the bread turned out like that, but I suspect it had something to do with the weather and the fact I sliced it down the middle before baking. It's a mystery!

basicliving@backtobasicliving.com said...

"The loaf rose and spilled over the pan, enveloping it with its buttery, doughy arms." That made me smile! I love that description!

The bread looks absolutely delicious to me - I can almost smell it through the picture. I've never seen bread rise quite like that - most people have the opposite problem and can't get their bread to rise! It's lovely though - whatever it's reasons were:)

Lilla said...

Hey Penny...it WAS absolutely delicious, buttery doughy arms and all! Today is a beautiful, sunny, low humidity day, so I'm going to try again. Wish me luck!

Powered By Blogger