March 1, 2010

Big Accomplishments at The Ranch

We debated over what to do about the floor in the apartment at The Ranch. We initially thought we would just stain the concrete, but after investigating, that process didn't seem as easy as we hoped and could get kind of pricey. We knew we wanted something easy to clean and pet friendly, so carpet was definitely out. We could have opted for cheap vinyl but I wanted something more earth friendly. So, when I was browsing in one of our favorite stores, Habitat for Humanity ReStore, I was tickled to find these tile squares priced at only $1 a square foot! The decision was made. Ceramic tile it would be.

And I love the fact that this tile is an earth tone with different colored flecks in it - perfect for camouflaging dirt! We also chose a mocha-colored grout, so there won't be any stained, worn-out looking crevices between tiles.

Neal spent all day Saturday and Sunday laying the tile. Our phone conversations over the weekend consisted mostly of updates on his progress and how many square feet he had covered. The total area is only about 350 square feet, but when you are doing meticulous work like laying tile, it seems like it takes forever. Probably one of the reasons we never took on a tile project before! Notice how I use the term "we"?

Even though he had never tackled a tile project before, you'd never know it by looking at his work. Everything is so nice and neat and spaced perfectly!

Neal purchased a tile cutter ahead of time, but he soon realized that he would need a tile saw for tight, tricky areas like in the bathroom. Lucky for us, our neighbor across the street has every kind of tool imaginable and Neal was able to borrow a tile saw from him.

Now all that's left to do is the kitchen area, then grout. That's the plan for tomorrow.

Look! A real door to the bathroom! Doesn't it blend in well with the paneling? Guess where we found it?.....yep, The ReStore! I really LOVE that place.

9 comments:

Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

I really like the tile. I think you made the perfect choice. Neal did a professional looking job on putting it down too.

Things are looking good!

frugalmom said...

Wow! That tile is beautiful. I love those earth tones like that. He did a wonderful job! It looks so good.
We have a Restore here, too. And i love that place. Come to think of it, I need to see if Im gonna have one close by when I move. :-)

frugalmom said...

Oh OH! I just checked and we do have one!! Yay!!!

Anonymous said...

it looks great! congrats to neal for doing such a good job :)

Lilla said...

Thanks for all the compliments. More photos when the grout is done!

Marcee....so glad you'll have a ReStore in your new town. I think every town should have one!

AJ-OAKS said...

Ooooh, I like that tile! Great job on laying it down. And love the panelling. Don't think we have a Re-Store here, but going to have to find out for sure.

Danni said...

Oh, your little place is beautiful! I love that light colored wood - very European! :-)
I adore our Habitat ReStore - it's where I got the windows for my chicken coop!
You guys are making great progress - hope you'll get to stay there soon!

basicliving@backtobasicliving.com said...

Neal did an awesome job! It is absolutely beautiful and matches your walls completely. I LOVE tile! Your place is really coming along. What a perfectly cozy and beautiful living space y'all are creating! I can't wait to read about your time there. And to read about the day you permanently arrive..... BTW - thanks for turning me on to ReStore. LIFESAVER!

Lilla said...

AJ-OAKS....thanks! Oooo, I hope you have a ReStore nearby. They are so great!

Danni...European,huh? That's not exactly the look we were going for, but we'll take it! We hope to get to stay out there more often in the very near future. Glad to hear you have a ReStore in your area. GO RESTORE!

Penny...that Neal is a handy fellow. Just like Bernie. Thanks for the compliments, and stay tuned for more Ranch updates. YEAH FOR THE RESTORE!

Powered By Blogger