June 12, 2009

The Kindness of Strangers

This week I ventured over to a new Salvation Army thrift store in town, looking specifically for some children's items to put in the waiting area in our store. As I walked in the door, a little old lady was walking out and stopped me. "Excuse me", she said. "Would you like this coupon that I cut out of the paper this morning?" To which I replied, "Oh, well thank you. You couldn't find anything you needed?" "No, I didn't find anything", she said. And then she handed me the coupon and walked out. I looked at the coupon in my hand and saw it was for 50% off the total for anything purchased that day. Wow, 50% off at a thrift store! I wandered aimlessly, looking for what I had originally gone for and had no luck. What kind of a thrift store doesn't have kids toys, games and puzzles?

I was beginning to give up and pass the coupon on to someone else as had been done to me, but then Neal called and requested I look for some blue jeans for him. On my way over to the men's section, I stumbled across kitchenwares and found two ice cube trays which we could use (no, we don't have an icemaker), and one of those silicon cookie molds which I've been wanting for my homemade soap-making efforts. Never mind that the cookie mold was a Halloween theme - it was originally marked $9.99, then the thrift store price was marked $5.00. And thanks to my coupon from a stranger, I got it for $2.50! I also found a pristine white flat sheet that I needed and two pairs of jeans for Neal. When I got to the register, my grand total, with the coupon, was $8.65. Now, that's what I call a bargain. And, all because a little old lady took the time to offer kindness to a stranger.

3 comments:

LiveWorkDream said...

It's the little gestures like that which keep our faith in humanity. Aren't they beautiful?

basicliving@backtobasicliving.com said...

Wow, you did good! It makes my week to get deals like that. And that woman was very kind to pass along that coupon to you. I bet it would make her day to know you blogged about her kindness!

Lilla said...

Yes, it is very refreshing to see that there are still folks who give freely, expecting nothing in return. Does the soul good.

Powered By Blogger